food chain and food web
Posted August 6, 2010on:
Food chain is used to show the food relationship between plants and other animals . A few food chain can construct a food web.
- grass -> deer -> cobra -> tiger
- grass -> deer -> tiger
- grass -> grasshopper -> frog -> cobra -> tiger
From the above food chain transform to afood chain:
Food chain always start with green plants. The piramid of numbers shows the number of producer and consumers.
A producer is a green plant because green plant can make their own food and the process is called photosynthesis.
Consumers are animals that consume other animals and plants.There are three consumers and they are:
- Primary consumer – herbivore or omnivore
- Secondary consumer – carnivore or omnivore
- Tertiary consumer – carnivore or omnivore
- Herbivores are animals that eat only plants.
- Carnivores are animals that eat only other animals.
- Omnivores are animals that eat other animals and plants.